Friday, March 25, 2016

Ya Gotta Have a Plan

So I’ve decided to train for a 5K. If my knees and feet will sustain me, I will run it. If not, there’s always walking. No matter how I cover the distance, I will finish. And to do that, I need a plan.
There’s a program that’s been recommended to me by a number of people who have tried to convince me of the joys of running and that anyone (even I) could do it. The program is called C25K, also known as Couch to 5K. It’s a gradual approach for non-runners to train to run. The challenge looks doable, the weather is cooperating, and I am determined.

Last spring during training for my half marathon walk, I battled snow and ice covered sidewalks, miniature lakes of melted snow blocking lanes at the cemetery (a local walkers’ haven), icy winds, and lack of daylight after work in the evenings. This year, I’m starting a bit later and very glad that Daylight Savings Time has returned. I’m also happy to say that our atypical winter has left no snow on the ground and spring melt is minimal since much of this winter’s precipitation was rain rather than snow. All this adds up to good conditions to begin training.

The really good news for me is that my target 5K is 11 weeks away from this coming weekend. The training program is intended for 9 weeks. Sure, I could jump in and be ready two weeks early. But I’m not kidding when I say just how out of shape I am, especially after a long, idle winter. Those two extra weeks can provide an extra cautious start to the program, more walking and less running.

So here’s to a slow, steady start and completing the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment